Monday, December 22, 2008

I'm goin' to Guatemala!

Hello friends and family!

Well, here's my blog. I just figure it's a better way for those people who would like to stay updated, rather than flooding everyone's email inboxes with mass emails. Also, this way you can check this site at your leisure and if you're not all that interested then you don't have to check it! One thing I do ask of you, though, is to please drop a line in the form of a comment every once in a while. I want to hear from you all and it'll be nice to know that someone is actually reading this. This post will mostly just be an introduction to what I'm heading out to do, but future posts should be less boring and I'll try to include interesting stories, reflections and funny anecdotes.

Anyway, I think everyone reading this knows that I'm joining the Peace Corps. However, I have noticed some confusion about where exactly I will be going and what exactly I will be doing (i.e.: "You're going to Nicaragua, right?" "So, Crystal, when do you leave for Spain?" "Crystal, I hear you're being sent to Afghanistan?") So, here's what I'll actually be doing: I will be going to Guatemala with the Healthy Schools program (I have included a map of Guatemala and a map of Central America for those of you confused about the geography of all those little countries south of Mexico). As far as the work I will be doing: I will be a School Health Facilitator and basically I will be working with rural primary schools developing sanitation and health projects, working with teachers to promote healthy habits and to incorporate health lessons into their curriculum, and helping to identify and implement necessary changes with the end goal of certifying these schools as "Healthy Schools."

Here's the map of Guatemala, followed by a map of Central America:




So, I'm leaving San Diego the morning of January 5th and will be flying to Washington D.C. where I will meet up with the rest of my training group, which I guess will be about 30 people, and we will have a day of orientation. Then, very early January 7th we will all be flying to Guatemala! For the first three months we will have training and all of us trainees will be centered around a town close to Antigua. Toward the end of training we will find out our permanent sites, then we'll be sworn in as volunteers and sent out on our own!

I'm getting pretty excited about embarking on this adventure and so far not so nervous. It does help a lot to know I have great support here at home and I'm really thankful for everyone's words of encouragement and excitement! We'll be in touch!



Much love,
Crystal

9 comments:

Megan said...

I didn't know you were joining the Peace Corps! Wowww so you'll be in another country?? Crazy!! Well I guess have fun, maybe I'll see you around again sometime.

-Megan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Crystal, this is going to be such an exciting chapter of your life.

I look forward to keeping up on your journey through your blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like you're going on the adventure of a lifetime..good for you!! I look forward to hearing more about it. I suppose I have to put my "healthy" two cents in--the best way to help stop spread of icky germs and things is to wash your hands (in case you didn't already know that;).

Have a safe trip! Look forward to hearing more about it!

Anonymous said...

Crystal
I'm very proud of you and I hope you have a great time. God bless you, Aunt Cathy

Ralph said...

Hey Crystal,

Sounds like things are starting out great!! You seem to have done alot already. It's nice that your "family" is treating you so well. Looking forward to hearing more of your journey. Uncle Todd and I wish you the best!!!

xoxox
Ralph

ChildReach Crew Member said...

I hate being force-fed too... unless cake's involved...

i hope things become less busy for you and you get to explore Guat-guat and make tin-top bracelets with your neighborhood children like coco is doing in panama... :-)

and again, if you need anything, let me know! sleeping pills for your host-lady, perhaps?

un beso y un (como se dice hug largo?) no,no... una hug gigante!!!
preeti

Anonymous said...

Crystal,
Sounds lke you are doing great, but ten cuidado. We miss you and love you, Aunt Cathy

Unknown said...

You're in the Peace Corps?! Miss you sis!

Scott

Carol Schrammel said...

Hi Crystal! Just thinking about you and hoping all is well. Got to see your mom last Saturday (with Sue and Holly) for dinner. It was fun.
Michael and Melissa just found out that they're having a boy--Liam Fritz Matthew Schrammel--in early November. Very cool!
Take care of yourself!
Love,
Carol